Fujifilm continue to offer amazing support for their existing cameras and today they have announced two new firmware updates for the X-Pro1 and X-E1
From today (25th June 2013) you can get the 2.05 X-Pro1 update and the 1.06 X-E1 update which offers:
- Additional functionality to improve “one-handed” camera operation
- A ‘Focus Frame Selection’ option has been added to the ‘Fn’ (function) button.
- A second ‘Fn’ button can be allocated.
- Enable aperture control for lenses without aperture rings (XF27mmF2.8 / XC16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS).
I think the additional ‘Fn’ function adds a great deal more versatility and it’s something I’ve been hoping for, for a while. Being able to select the focus frame quicker too is a must, and it’s something I use a lot with the X100S
From 23rd July 2013 you will be able to get X-Pro1 Ver.3.00, X-E1 Ver.2.00 updates
These updates, by virtue of their full version updates, look extremely enticing.
- Improvement of AF speed. Improves AF speed on all existing XF lenses, thanks to the updated algorithm throughout the full range of focal length.
- The ‘Focus Peak Highlight’ function, which features on the X100S and X20 cameras and was well accepted, has been added via this firmware update. It assists accurate and sensitive manual focusing by enhancing the outline of your subject in high contrast.
- Improvement in ‘Checking Focus’ operation: how to change magnification ratio in manual focusing.
The addition of Focus Peak Highlight will be very powerful. I use it almost exclusively on the X100S and I really didn’t expect Fujifilm to roll this into a Firmware update (rather, I assumed it might make a future body realease). It may well offer a greater appeal for documentary/street type photographers.
I find the focus peak functionality to be extremely useful, especially with the back button focusing technique that I employ.
Fujifilm must be congratulated for their continuing work with the firmware updates and I really can’t wait to see what they have in store for future X-Pro1 body releases.
I will be updating my X-Pro1 today and will report back here.
You can download the firmware and read all about it on the Fujifilm Website.